In October '07 I filed all my paper work for my student teaching (aka the pinnacle of my academic career) in the Fall of '08. They require you to do it a year in advance and it's a little miss leading because here you are thinking about student teaching and finally being FINISHED when in reality, you have a year left of the most daunting coursework of your life. Anyways, while I was applying, I was told that I may not get my first choice of teaching location and could potentially get sent to another state for 3 1/2 months. Since Idaho is rural and the School districts are few and far between, the school encourages students to go to distant locations that the school has set-up in Las Vegas, Utah, and Arizona. If I was single, I would be totally be down to get the heck out of Idaho and migrate to a warmer climate... but I have Bryce. They said that the only thing that promised you a local placement was the fact that you are married AND have kids. Being married to a full-time student was not good enough. So I was overjoyed When I got a e-mail in March saying that I would be local, but not so overjoyed to learn that "local" Included towns up to an hour and a half away. So I've been waiting and waiting to see what school I would be teaching at. Then last week, I got it...... Iona Elementary in Idaho Falls. I was ecstatic. Idaho Falls is about 25 min. South of Rexburg, which is not too bad! But here's the best part.... I'll be teaching 4th Grade!!!!! My favorite!!!! I can't wait. The first thing I did was jump on the Internet and find the school's website. I then learned that the 1st day of school in Aug 21. That's 3 weeks before the college semester begins.... WHAT???!!!! That means we have to come back from CA early AND I only get to spend 4 weeks at my beloved Los Alamitos Summer Day Camp. :( But here's the silver lining... I am DONE by Thanksgiving!!! The end is in sight!!!
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Student Teaching....The end is in sight!!!
In October '07 I filed all my paper work for my student teaching (aka the pinnacle of my academic career) in the Fall of '08. They require you to do it a year in advance and it's a little miss leading because here you are thinking about student teaching and finally being FINISHED when in reality, you have a year left of the most daunting coursework of your life. Anyways, while I was applying, I was told that I may not get my first choice of teaching location and could potentially get sent to another state for 3 1/2 months. Since Idaho is rural and the School districts are few and far between, the school encourages students to go to distant locations that the school has set-up in Las Vegas, Utah, and Arizona. If I was single, I would be totally be down to get the heck out of Idaho and migrate to a warmer climate... but I have Bryce. They said that the only thing that promised you a local placement was the fact that you are married AND have kids. Being married to a full-time student was not good enough. So I was overjoyed When I got a e-mail in March saying that I would be local, but not so overjoyed to learn that "local" Included towns up to an hour and a half away. So I've been waiting and waiting to see what school I would be teaching at. Then last week, I got it...... Iona Elementary in Idaho Falls. I was ecstatic. Idaho Falls is about 25 min. South of Rexburg, which is not too bad! But here's the best part.... I'll be teaching 4th Grade!!!!! My favorite!!!! I can't wait. The first thing I did was jump on the Internet and find the school's website. I then learned that the 1st day of school in Aug 21. That's 3 weeks before the college semester begins.... WHAT???!!!! That means we have to come back from CA early AND I only get to spend 4 weeks at my beloved Los Alamitos Summer Day Camp. :( But here's the silver lining... I am DONE by Thanksgiving!!! The end is in sight!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Congrats! You will make such a great teacher. Thanks for the review of Ironman I think I might actually go see it now!
McKenzie, I remember sitting in seminary with you just a few short 4 years ao. Now you are almost done with college! Time really flys. I'm so proud of you!
Congratulations! That's awesome that you got a school so close. You will be the best student teacher ever!:)
That's awesome! You are going to love it. My mom is teaching 4th grade this year. That's a wonderful age and grade.
Hang in there.. the end is so close! Congrats on getting a good location. You will be an amazing teacher!
I hope student teaching is great for you. I remember when I student taught. I was at Mira Coasta High in Manhatten Beach for 7 weeks then at Perry Middle school in Gardena for 8 weeks. It gave me culture shock to see such discrepencies in neighborhoods and students. You really learn how to be a teacher when you teach in the HOOD though. Good Luck with it all.
Matt Jones
Post a Comment