
I waited a while to do this post because I wanted to make it right

Earlier this month, my last living grandparent passed away. My Dad's mom and my Grandma Connie was 90 years old. I went digging for some old pictures and while doing so, was able to relive some great memories. My Grandma lived in Connecticut (where my dad grew up) so I didn't get to see her as often as I would have liked, but my parents made every effort to get us out to the east coast as often as possible when we were kids so we could see her.

When ever I try to describe my grandma to people, I have a hard time. I feel like I never do her justice because she is such a character. She's a 5 ft tall, loud, hilarious Italian woman. I often thought she would make a great SNL sketch. She always spoke her mind and that often resulted in yelling at the TV. She is the greatest cook I have ever known. Each time we left her house to come back home, we would waddle on to the plane a good 5 pounds heavier than when we got there.

But Probably the greatest thing about her was that this woman was ALL about the family. You could tell that her family was really the most important thing in the world to her. She is one of 11 children (10 girls, 1 boy) and had two of her own (My dad and Uncle James) My sister Kennedy and I are her only grand children and she would spoil us rotton. She was married to my wonderful Grandpa Jim who passed away in 1992. Whenever we went back east, we got together with all the cousins, 2nd cousins, aunts, great aunts, uncles, great uncles, and friends that were prectically family. The love these people have for eachother was undeniable and there was definitely love in all that delicious Italian food :)

Grandpa Jim

I was so grateful for the opportunity Bryce and I had to see my Grandma exactly a year ago when we went to NY for Steph and George's 2nd reception. We flew out two days earlier so we could make a side trip to Connecticut to see her. It had been quite a while since I had see her and although the years had changed her slightly, she was still the same Connie. Her health was declining and I had a feeling it would be the last time I ever saw her. I remeber hugging her so tightly when we were leaving and I felt just like a little girl again.

I am thankful for the memories I have of my grandma and will always cherish them. I feel so lucky to have been related to such a great lady. I look foward to the day when I can do her temple work for her and feel her sweet spirit again.
4 comments:
I'm crying. That was so sweet.
Oh McKenzie, I am so sorry about your G'ma Connie! Please give your Dad my condolences. I remember hearing stories about her over the years and what a character she was. This is a lovely tribute and I love the pictures, especially the one with your Mom.
I am so sorry about your Grandma Connie. What a great tribute post this is with some nice pictures.
I'm sure she's very pleased with how fondly you think of her. This was just beautiful.
Post a Comment