Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veterans Day!

When I was in school, we always had Veteran's Day off. I guess that's a CA thing, because at the school I'm teaching at, not only did they have school, but they had a full-on Veteran's Day Assembly. I was really impressed by the school's effort to teach the students the meaning of the holiday. The program was open to the whole community and they packed the gym. The kids sang patriotic songs, read essays about freedom, and they even spent one part of the assembley individually honoring each veteran in attendence. It was really nice. Nothing tugs at my heartstirngs like children singing songs about America!




Since it is Veteran's day, I also have to give a shout out to my Dad. My Dad served in the Marine Corps from 1961-1963 and fought in Vietnam. I am very proud of him for serving our country and likehe says, "Once a Marine, always a Marine!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome that the school puts such an emphasis on Veteran's Day! We got it off in my schools too - of course, in Saipan they find any possible excuse to get off from work/school, but I had it off in middle school too in Maine.

Thank your dad for me! I hold the men who served in Vietnam in highest regard for all the hardship they went through over there and especially all the persecution they got when they came home. He's probably a pretty awesome guy.

Mrs. Douglas said...

That's really cool that they actually have an assembly and everything. I had school off :)

AND I would love to see you when you come home. lets do it!

Sherri Araiza said...

Hey McKenzie! I just heard you're moving back home for awhile. I am SO excited! We'll be in the same ward again!

AnneMarie said...

Our schools did absolutely nothing for Veterans Day! I was kind of upset, it's important.